How QR codes are revolutionising customer service
QR codes offer a variety of interaction possibilities. The redirection to a website is by no means all that the black/white pixel structure for scanning with mobile devices has to offer. The encrypted codes open up completely new possibilities when it comes to optimising customer experiences and expanding service offers. The enormous potential of areas of application becomes clear when one realises that QR codes not only create a connection between offline and online platforms, but also between different online offers. In addition, almost 50% of people worldwide own a smartphone, which makes addressing them via this service a successful magnet.
What are QR codes and how do they work?
The abbreviation QR stands for “quick response”. The name is deserved because the information can be retrieved within seconds when scanned. Quick Response is a two-dimensional version of a barcode that can be used to transmit large amounts of information.
Each QR code consists of a pattern of black and white dots and lines in a square shape. This structure can store up to 7,089 digits or 4,296 characters (including punctuation and special characters) and images of up to 2953 bytes. This means that each generated pattern encodes diverse content and information individually. In a QR code generator, the structures are created so that the information is embedded multiple times. This way, they remain readable even if they are partially destroyed or covered. This makes the QR code very reliable as an information carrier and service provider.
What can QR codes be used for?
The practical codes are used wherever data needs to be read quickly (e.g. digital tickets) or to help the user bridge the gap between the analogue world (e.g. QR code display in a magazine) and the digital world (e.g. website). The most popular data transfers include:
- URL: A web page opens in the browser.
- App Store: This is followed by a direct link to download the application from the App Store.
- Social Media: The link leads to the corresponding social media profile.
- Email: Via the scan, an e-mail can be sent directly to the stored recipient.
- PDF: The deposited PDF file is downloaded and displayed.
- Text: A static text is displayed.
- Picture: A picture opens.
- Video: A video or a playlist opens.
- Electronic business card: The stored contact data is displayed and is available for direct contact or for transfer to the address book.
- Geographical location: A location is displayed in Google Maps.
- Wi-Fi: A connection to the local Wi-Fi network is established.
How can you benefit from the usage of QR codes?
Due to their versatility, the use of QR codes is becoming increasingly popular. With just a single scan that provides everyone with a result within seconds, the customer approach can be revolutionised in almost all industries. The exchange of information with guests or customers speeds up, becomes more interactive and transparent.
- Enable your guests to leave feedback on their current visit to your hotel or restaurant, for example. Provide an email QR code in the room or on the table, which the guest can use to enter their feedback directly and forward it to you. Show your customers that they and their opinion are important to you and use the given feedback for your business.
- Take the customers of your shop on a journey and show them a film about the origin of your goods. An example could be the story of the farmer from whom you get your potatoes. You can hardly offer more transparency.
- You can also add a QR code encoded discount code to your price tags. All the customer has to do is scan it and show it on their smartphone during the checkout process – and they can benefit from the interaction.
- The possibility of offering PDF documents for download makes it easier for the restaurant operator to provide a digital menu or drinks list. This relieves the service staff and the guest can start browsing immediately. Another code that refers to a mailbox could even accept orders from the guests; the annoying wait for the waiter is no longer necessary.
- In the area of meetings and conferences, a PDF download is useful, for example, to make the agenda or other important documents available for preparation.
- Retailers can use this variant to offer nutrition-conscious customers an overview of the ingredients of the respective product or also recipe suggestions.
As you can see, there are many possible applications. Let your creativity run wild and discover how you can use QR codes in your business.
Show QR codes on digital displays
It’s even easier if you map QR codes onto a digital medium. This allows you to adapt the codes at any time without having to reprint and replace anything. Simply integrate or update them at the touch of a button and your guests or customers will be able to interact with them in just a few seconds.
matizze.studio is our software for managing and designing digital labels. There you can also generate your QR code, integrate it and then display it on the digital sign.
Would you like to learn more about possible applications for digital displays?
Make an appointment directly and Sascha Langhorst will be on hand to give you advice and support, e.g. on the topic of QR code integration or industry use of digital signage.